Thursday, August 23, 2007

Part 3: Laser eye surgery at Optimax (Malaysia)

I choose Custom intralasik. Pls note that each person heal/result varies.

BEFORE SURGERY

I am nervous as my surgery approaches but excited at the same time. Just after a few hours then i wont be half blind! I dont have to wear contact every time i make up or when i go to function. I also will not feel the headache of wearing specs and i do not have to buy anymore glasses or hunt for cheap solution and contact lense.


I have to be there 1 hour earlier to prepare for the surgery. During this one hour i was prep on wat to do and not to do. I learn that i must try not to move my eyes too much and to focus on the red light above me. I can still blink my eye but i must not fall asleep. I am surprise that they tell ppl not to fall asleep. I mean who will fall asleep while their eyes are being split open...?? But i soon learn better~


This will be the first time i see the doctor. Previously my check up are done by the optometrist. I feel slightly apprehensive as i have not consult with this doctor till the said day. I was not very impress with his communication skill because he look a bit kan chiong/not very ppl friendly. I mean he noe what he is doing but he look like he is rushing for time when i talk briefly with him. So there is not much communication between us. And i feel that he should talk more specifically on what will happen during the surgery instead of just briefing thru.


Next i have to change to the special cloths and my eyes are disinfect and eye drops are use to numb it.


DURING SURGERY


The first part is to laser out the cornea to create a flap. the second part is to laser the inner eyes. In the first process i freak out. I was told that there is no pain when they laser my eyes but i still feel slight pain and the disorienting feel of my flap being laser out. It feels like someone is cutting out the surface of the eye. It doesn't help that while they cut it, they suck ur eyeball like vacuum in the process.


Cutting of the flap (1st process): they ask u focus on red light, they plaster ur eye lid and insert a device to stop the eyes from closing (its rather uncomfortable). Then they take a round thing to suck ur eye ball like a vacuum cleaner (it seems that the lasik vacuum is stronger). Then they laser out around the tube. I was not told this will happen. I had read about it briefly in the internet but i forget about it and i start to panic. However i still try to remain as still as possible.


After they laser out the first flap, they push the flap to one side. At this point my panic increases because everything i see is in a extreme blur. I was told to focus on the red light but i find it hard to open my eyes. While the doctor laser my eyes he keep saying that i have fallen asleep (when u fall asleep ur eyes role to the back) but i did not feel i have fallen asleep. The feeling is really disorienting and i wish that the doctor told me specifically what will happen.



AFTER SURGERY
You will not be able to open ur eyes. I cant exactly describe it as pain but rather uncomfortable, disorienting and slight pain. Your tear duct will automatically flow. This time you must put on sunglasses cos even if u shut ur eye, ur eyes will still be sensitive to the light. It is best to have someone accompany u and drive u home (BIG TIP). I could not really open my eye and I have to be lead like blind person. cool.gif


MY EYE SIGHT


After reaching home, I pop in the sleeping pill and pain killer then go to sleep. It will be a bit hard to sleep. After about 3 hours i wake up and everything is so clear~!! The feeling is really exhilarating. I guess the doctor is really good after all.


The next day I went for check up the optometrist say that I have perfect vision. Vision better than 6/6. But its not stabilize yet. Follow up i have to go for check up for 1 week, 1 month, 3 month, 6 month. If after 3month/6month i have heal completely then they will start counting the next check up 12 month later to entitle for the VISION FOR LIFE package (whereby if i get myopia again i can correct it for free. But i need to pay RM50 every year that i check)

TIP: During the surgery day, try booking later of the day. That way when u are done, u can avoid the sun. Pls try to get a sunglasses. To me whether its UV or not. It does not matter whether its cheap or expensive. Because even with sunglasses on, u will have a hard time opening ur eyes and u cannot drive. Go back home asap.


OVERALL
I THINK THAT TECHNOLOGY IS RATHER ADVANCE NOW. By choosing CUSTOM INTRALASIK I belief that I have minimize my risk. Off course there is still some risk involve but the probability is minimal. The doctor is season too (johor bahru, city square branch). He did 2000 eyes already and is at the shop 5 days a week. His name is Dr Yip. u can check his credentials in the website www.optimax.com. However it would help a lot if u read my experience above. He does have skill but he is definitely not a talker~~ laugh.gif

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to have my Laser treatment on this coming saturday, 12th Mac. A bit nervous though.. My surgeon is Dr Yip, which is the same as yours. From your post, it seem like Dr Yip wont explain tat detail to me, so anything u can suggest to me for that? should I ask him, to make him explain, or he will not entertain me?

Yvonne said...

My impression of him is that he will tend to rush thru his explanation. Would suggest that you read out what will happen during the surgery or ask the optometrist. You can still try to prepare some question for the dr if u you still have queries.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your suggestion!
Another concern is, I am taking CONVENTIONAL-ALL LASER LASIK, would u think is good & safe enough? ( compare to CUSTOMIZE- ALL LASER LASIK). According to the Dr after my first checkup, she said I m eligible for both, that's y i choose the first one since it is RM2K cheaper for 2 eyes.

Yvonne said...

I was in the same position as you. Why should i pay more when i can save 2k. In the end i choose the most expensive package because the technology is the best (compare with the 2 package) and other reason for eg medium-long pupil. If u can afford the 6k package, when it comes to our eyes its best not to budget. After all you would naturally want to get optimum result.

Check with the optometrist the difference between the both and why you should go for the more expensive one. Maybe that will also guide your decisions.

Raymond said...

do you have any friends who tried lasikpro?
my friends recommended me this.

do let me know. many thanks :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me.
Yaldo Eye Center

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails